Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What is the Point of Marriage? | datingish

What is the Point of Marriage?


This post was submitted by Stella.

So, it?s the weekend and I've been doing my own bit to contribute to the society by heaping my electricity bill while putting in my time on the couch. I am a TV troll. I watch pretty much every TV show you can imagine. Sometimes I wonder how I have time for anything else. Anyway, I digress; back to the point of this post.

Amongst the multitude of reality shows I watch, I noticed a common trend among a majority of the characters that were in relationships: They were living together (a few with kids or planning on having kids). Basically, living like a ?married couple? and for some reason a few of the women were unhappy because "he hadn't put a ring on it."

I look at the couples around me as well and it?s the same situation. One lady in particular stands out to me. She finally got her proposal and is in the thick of planning her wedding. As part of her planning, she has come up with a list of things that must change after marriage. The list includes things like no more late nights with the boys, no friends crashing at their place, and it goes on. They?ve been living together for years and they have two kids (6 & 2). In my eyes, their situation isn?t changing; all they are doing is adding the title of husband/wife and Mrs for the lady.

They already have the companionship, they are sharing responsibilities, supporting each other's dreams and all that good stuff that marriage is supposed to be about. What motivation does the guy have to change his ways? With the current divorce rates I ask, are people getting married just to have the ceremony to splash cash and show off just how much money they are making? Or is it that people believe that the piece of paper they sign will guarantee that they will be together forever? Is getting married just another trend??

I personally feel that if you?ve got a good thing going adding the titles ?Husband? or ?Wife? can only add undue pressure to the relationship. I don?t know if I have been living in my own little bubble for so long that I'm late at noticing this trend, but if so, please forgive me but I still want to hear your thoughts.

In the world we live in today and the way ?dating? is handled, what is the point of marriage??

Source: http://www.datingish.com/769972261/what-is-the-point-of-marriage/

S B H c mitt romney mark zuckerberg mark zuckerberg

No comments:

Post a Comment